My impressions are a bit different than Peter’s.

I had an ist-D, and went from that to a K10D. It provided a distinct advantage
in image quality in tonality as well as megapixels. The only problem with the
K10D was that noise became bothersome at ISO 800, and night shots at ISO 1600
(the maximum) were ruined by banding in the dark areas.

Because of the ISO problem I bought a K-7 when it came out. I liked the
all-metal construction and the additional 2 stops of ISO headroom, and banding
was no longer a problem. However the tonal spectrum seemed more limited than
that on the K10D, and gradations from bright areas into shadow were uneven. In
good light (preferably fairly even) it’s fine.

I got a K-5 several months after it came out. I love it. Its sensor has the
tonal spectrum of the K10D, with much more sensitivity and lovely handling of
shadows. Night shots turn out beautifully; I often shoot at ISO 6400 (indoors
and outdoors), and there is no banding and the noise cleans up nicely. From
what I’ve seen, Pentax hasn’t improved on that sensor.

I only shoot RAW, and have no idea how any of these cameras does with JPGs.

The istD died after several years of worthy use by my daughter. My son has the
K10D, and is turning out very nice photos with it. The K-7 is my backup camera.

Your fuel economy might vary, of course.

Rick