A very nice set of action shots, Paul! (as we frequently witness here on the list)

Your comment about the way you cropped got me puzzled and intrigued,
so, I was curious what happens in your photos in that regard.

My procedure of leveling (for non-landscape-with-clear-horizon-at-infinity photographs) is the opposite to what you've described: Usually, for the photographs that don't have a clear horizon at infinity, it is hard to figure out which line is truly horizontal: Even a small panning away from the point where you are looking at exactly the right (90 degree) angle at that horizontal feature would make that line non-horizontal.

In contrast, the vertical lines remain vertical, unless you have a perspective divergence/convergence (which is more prominent with short-focal-length lenses).

The perspective divergence/convergence (depending on whether your viewing point is below or above that vertical feature end-point) happens on the sides, so, even in case of that effect present, I usually rely on the vertical features in the middle of the photograph: fence poles, light poles, vertical building edges, etc.

So, while it is not very distracting, a few shots (e.g. 8671 with the guy panning, or 8710) have the vertical lines (vertical fence poles in the background) all leaning to the same side (to the left), which is non-physical.

I am not saying that all photos must be leveled, some photos a better
tilted. My comment is just on the procedure of what is the true horizontal/vertical.

Cheers,

Igor

PS. Of course various types of distortion, e.g. barrel distortion, can affect how straight the lines are. But then one has to deal with those. :)