I ran into an interesting, and by that I mean worrying problem with my K-5II yesterday.

I take a shot and the shutter speed is way too long.  Check the camera ISO is set for 80.  I could have sworn that I set the ISO to 800.  Well, I adjust the ISO to 800, check the viewfinder, shutter is 1/10 sec, easily hand holdable with IS, so I take the shot.

Now the shutter speed sounds way to fast.  Check the ISO it's back to 80, try to change it.  No joy.

I'm in program mode so I attempt to change the shutter speed.  No joy.  Attempt to change aperture. No joy.

Check picture review.  None of the images have been recorded! WTF.

I've got the new Sigma on the camera, in the past Sigma electronics /could/ screw up camera electronics, hence, among other reasons, the sobriquet, Sig[nificant] Ma[lfunctions] that used to be applied to Sigma products.

I thought those days were long gone, but I begin to fear the worst.  I swap the lens for the Pentax F 70-210, same symptoms. Remove the battery, count to 20...

Put the battery back in.  Camera seems to be functioning fine. Try an exposure...

And I'm back at the beginning.

Take out the battery again, count to 100.

Put the battery back in, camera seems to be working fine.  Try an exposure.  Everything works.

Change shutter speed, change aperture, change ISO, all working fine.

Take exposure, once again everything works.

Take a deep breath, replace the Pentax lens with the Sigma.

Take exposure, everything works.

Test everything, it's like there was never a problem.

I have no idea what's going on, or how the camera got into the operational state it was in.

    - P.J. O'Rourke