The only time I've had that problem it's been with a particular lens.  However, maybe you didn't leave the battery out long enough to make sure that there was no more residual power left in the camera, and there was only an incomplete reset.

Before doing anything drastic, I'd take the battery out and let it sit overnight, just to make sure.  Of course that won't insure that any long term storage capacitor is discharged, but that would probably take weeks.

However I have a feeling that the problem is in one of the contacts, either the digital or A contact.  There aren't any moving parts in either of those on the body, AFAIK, if so leaving the battery out overnight doesn't work, I have no further suggestions for DYI repairs.  I know better.