Well, the K-5II more or less did it again.  Camera started firing shutter either too long or short, not recording images or recording with very heavily magenta casts, controls becoming unresponsive.  Taking the battery out for a hard reboot, restored control functionality but doesn't always restore actual function. Crap.

After a bit of experimentation it looks like it's battery related.  The problem seems to happen after the camera is sitting idle with the original Pentax camera battery.  Strangely enough the Watson branded backup battery seems to work much better.

This really sux.  I have no idea if I should send the camera for repair or just look for a used one, or buy a new battery and hope for the best.  KEH prices are pretty low for K-5 variants.

I really was saving my pennies for a K-3, or waiting for the K-3 replacement, whichever...

    - P.J. O'Rourke