>   A back can be modified to hold the CCD and the necessary LCD panels.
>The mechanics of the camera can be removed to make room for necessary
>electronics, as well as the two compartments that would normally hold
>film.

        Leave them.  THat way you don't destroy the body and give yourself more
options.

>   There would be a problem with getting the shutter and CCD to synch at
>the appropriate times.  My fix for this would to be to totally remove
>the shutter curtain (digitals lack this anyhow).

        The X-sync contact already triggers the flash when the shutter it totally
open, so for short shutter speeds, you could use this.  For longer shutter
speeds, you might as well just accumulate the image by sampling the sensor a
bunch of times and use the mechanical shutter mechanism to control the
light.  You'll need to know when the shutter curtain starts to open
(probably sufficient to start when the shutter is released), and when it is
all the way closed (after the mirror flips back down?).  Solves your
mirror/CCD sync problem too and getting the connections may be doable
without destroying the camera for use with film.  That would allow you to
build it into a back and interchange them for using the camera with film.

>   This setup should allow for all the necessary electronics to be taken
>up by just the digital electronics.  The prisim would be fully
>functional.  If need be a battery pack add-on could be used to run the
>electronics using a dead battery.  The camera back would have most of
>the necessary buttons associated with the digital camera.

        One things that would be lacking is an LCD preview screen.  Another issue
if you tried to leave the cutrina in would be clearance between the curtain
and the CCD.

hope that helps,
patbob ([EMAIL PROTECTED])