I've never dealt with that particular little slice of hell. However, there are two possibilities.  1.) The latch is broken, you have little or no choice there, since I expect the actual action is part of the reader, it will have to be replaced.  2.) Something, dust or oil or a combination of both is keeping the latch from moving freely.  Before sending the camera for repair you could try to blow it out with canned "air" or using a "tuner" spray lubricant if that doesn't work.  I'd use the canned air first.