> On 12 July 2019 at 23:20 Steve Cottrell <co...@seeingeye.tv> wrote:
>

> On 12/7/19, mike wilson, discombobulated, unleashed:
>
> >The other big issue with batteries is the the electrickery has to be
> >generated somehow and, at present, that means burning fossil fuels.
>
> On a global scale, certainly. But nuclear fission power in the UK has almost
> completely obliterated fossil fuel burning. Coal-fired is gone, just need to
> knock off the gas burning.
>
> That said, nuclear is ahem far from 'clean'....

And the renewal programme (which should just cover our present needs) is in
meltdown.  If you'll pardon the pun.  Not a snowball's chance of producing
enough juice to deal with mass conversion to electrical transport.  Renewables?
 Not even close to coping with the present fleet of Leafs and Zoes, never mind
the millions more supposedly landing on our roads in the next few years.  Even
with the present run of mildish winters we have come very close to rationing
during the darkest days.  Only the pipelines to the dreaded Yurp have kept us
topped up - that may become an issue in the next few years if we leave.

Another issue with elecric vehicles is that the batteries lose capacity much
quicker than IC engines wear out.  There are plenty of stories of buyers
finding that their 2-3-4 year old, low mileage car will now not do the (already
generous) 200 miles suggested by the manufacturer on a full charge but
substantially less than 50.

> The problem with hydrogen is making the hydrogen in the first place....

Indeed it is.  Although it's more of "a" problem, as there are plenty more.