On 8/7/2019 05:01:37, Steve Cottrell wrote:
On 7/8/19, Brian W, discombobulated, unleashed:

View the August gallery here:

http://pug.komkon.org/

Nice gallery - enjoyed all he shots, especially Wild Horses by John Sessoms -
great job!

Thanks for co-ordinating Brian.

Thank you. They are a sight to see.

http://www.ncwildhorses.com/corolla.htm

I'm going down there again NEXT Wednesday, 15 Aug. Full moon rises about 10 minutes before sunset.

When I went down there in July, I didn't know you needed a parking permit for the beach (Friday before Memorial Day thru Labor Day). The office that issues the permits closes at 5:00pm local time. I got there at 5:30pm, so I wasn't allowed to get out of the car to get a better angle.

Now I know.

I'll do a better job next time. I'll get there before the office closes and get a parking permit. I'll be able to get out of the car, walk around to frame them with the sunset and with the full moon.

The horses are amazing. They're descended from Spanish Colonial Mustangs abandoned along the outer banks and/or horses that managed to swim ashore from Spanish shipwrecks on the shoals off of Cape Fear and Cape Hatteras.

North Carolina has been struggling to protect them since the 1980s.

When the Currituck National Wildlife Refuge was established in 1984, the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service labeled them an invasive species (even though they've been there since the 1500s, predating the USF&WS by 350+ years) and wants to exterminate them.

North Carolina Congressional Representatives have repeatedly introduced a bill for protection of the wild horses on Currituck Banks

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corolla_Wild_Horses_Protection_Act