What I'm thinking is that AMD has faster more efficient processors than Intel at the moment.  As to laptops, I custom built myself a desktop a few years ago and it still meets my needs so I don't have any suggestions about that.

I will state for the record that my desktop is built around an AMD 6 core chip, but I didn't buy it because AMD chips were better than Intel, at the time they weren't, however that particular chip maximized the bang for the buck, so I was willing to deal with a slightly slower less efficient chip.