> On May 24, 2020, at 1:43 AM, Ralf R Radermacher <fotor...@gmx.de> wrote:
>
>> Am 23.05.20 um 23:55 schrieb Godfrey DiGiorgi:
>> Completely irrelevant Ralf.
>
> Let me decide that.

Sure, but you only need to do it once. Your position on this issue has been the
same and repeated every time the issue surfaces for, oh, at least five years
now. Do you think anyone here needs to hear it yet again?

And the issue didn't even surface this time. You brought it up out of nowhere.
I was trying to help Paul with his problems, which I have not seen myself but
which I have some surrounding context in the form of others I know who are
working with the same equipment and not experiencing a problem.

>> I tossed any device that the manufacturers won’t support properly years ago..
>
> There isn't a simple replacement for some things. Besides, you're
> obviously stinking rich. Not everybody is.

My personal finances are not only just as irrelevant as your beef and none of
your business as well.

I agree: there isn't a simple replacement for some things. And the issues that
brings up get compounded when you don't stay on top of the fast changing world
in which these kinds of things have their life cycle.

For instance, I had one device that I was using rather a lot, and it was
somewhat expensive. When it became incompatible with an OS revision, I called
the vendor and explained the situation I was seeing in detail. My interest in
keeping them up to date and providing explicit, clear documentary evidence
provoked them to realize that it was important, and they discovered that the
fix was a single build system option and a minor bit of error guarding around a
critical piece of the code at a couple of points…. All recommended things that
were in the guidelines that Apple publishes, btw. So they rebuilt the software,
sent it to me for testing, and then distributed the fix via their normal
channels when it proved to work just right.

If I'd not contacted them and worked with them on the problem, and no one else
had, they might have perceived it to be of no real value to put the effort in
and it would have dropped off their visibility scenario. If they'd then have
investigated bringing things up to date four or five major revisions later,
well, it's quite likely the changes would have required a wholly larger amount
of work, and the number of users in the community would have dwindled into the
unprofitable range by then. As it was, they got an extra couple of years out of
that product before phasing in a new one, and users of the existing product got
a few more years of use out of it. I phased it out of the work I was doing in
favor of other devices over the course of a year.

I always keep up to date, and age out things that are no longer
supported/getting long in the tooth when it seems appropriate to do so under
the circumstances I'm working in. And I work with the software and hardware
vendors when I have to to ensure that they understand the problems, and have a
decent shot at fixing them economically and quickly.

I've been doing this for the past thirty-six years. It seems to work out really
well for me. I don't just snarl, "Damn Apple" and hope that another solution
will surface cheaply in a year or more, and stay moribund with old stuff while
waiting. It's what I call 'being proactive' vs 'being reactive'.

Good luck with your future move to Linux. I'm sure there'll be no problems
there at all.