Yes I agree thats the main effect. However this guy even includes lead in
glass as a pop factor. The rendering of bokeh also adds to the effect.
Zooms have a busy bokeh.

https://photographylife.com/the-death-of-beautiful-rendition-and-3d-pop-on-modern-lenses

I can hardly see the difference in his before after shot with the slider