On 5 Oct 2020, at 14:31, Daniel J. Matyola <danmaty...@gmail.com> wrote:

> No accounting for the French!

It’s a great film, directed by Bunuel, who was not French, but the script was
by Jean-Claude Carrière one of the greats of cinema, who is indeed French and
I’d say it’s more his film than Bunuel’s. That scene, in fact the whole film,
is a coded reference to and critique of France’s role in their former colonies
and in particular to the Algerian war.

https://mubi.com/notebook/posts/surviving-desire-the-films-of-jean-claude-carriere