Alan,

The plant(s) are indeed less than half the height of the flower stems
(spikes) which grow very fast.
The spikes are always vertical, unlike the parts of the plant which
run diagonally.

Ours are like the one below, only lens of lesser density.
https://plantophiles.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/IMG_6364-768x1024.jpg.webp

I will try to send an image off list.

Bulent

http://patoloji.gen.tr