Burma-Shave signs were fun. And "See Rock City" painted on barn roofs.

Stuckey's and "South of the Border" signs existed BEFORE I-95.

I was lucky my family made a couple of road trips out to California (from NC) while I was still at home and I got to see Route 66 in 1960 before I-40 replaced most of it.

We went again in 1964 and by then most of the trip was on Interstates. But they hadn't completely replaced the old highways.

The 1964 trip was when the Ranger at The Petrified Forest directed my dad to pull off "where they were building the new highway" (I-40) "and we could pick up all the petrified wood we wanted" because it was outside of the National Park.

In 1960 we saw the Grand Canyon (even if we only did get to spend an hour before we had to get back on the road) & the Meteor Crater.

In 1964 we saw the Giant Redwoods & Yosemite, taking California Hwy 120 east eventually ending up on US 95 in Nevada ... I won 20¢ from a dime slot machine in the lobby of a Howard Johnson's Restaurant in Las Vegas before the waitress saw me and FREAKED OUT ... we drove across the Hoover Dam and visited Mesa Verde.