Correct.  In the US if a drone is used for recreational purposes and weighs over 250 grams (.55 lb) it must be registered with the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA).  If a drone is used for commercial purposes it must be registered regardless of weight. The cost for either is 5 USD for 3 years.

In addition, commercial operations require you to be a licensed drone pilot so if you take photos or videos with your drone and sell them, you're supposed to be licensed.  The FAA takes a broad view on what is considered commercial.  It might be something as innocuous as posting drone photos or videos on a blog that gets a little income from sharing ads.  Obviously they're not going to be scrubbing through blogs and web sites looking for violations but there are folks who don't like drones who complain and then the FAA will look into it.