Thanks, Alan!

This was one or a dozen that I released over the past three days, so I
don't remember exactly how long it took her ( it is a female) to fly away.
Two flew away immediately, as soon as I opened the door to the cage. Most
waited until I reached in and removed them by hand, and tried to place them
on a nectar flower.  This one flew off the flower and spent some time on
the ground.  I wanted her out of the sun, so after taking this image, I
moved her to an echinacea flower in the shade, and turned to other
released butterflies.

Generally, newly emerged butterflies need at least an hour or two to dry
off their wings before they are strong enough to fly.  They generally hang
on to the side of the cage, or the plant on which the chrysalis hung,
gently opening and closing their wings until they are dry and strong enough
for flight.  A few take a lot longer.  I released one onto an
echinacea Wednesday evening, and it was still hanging on to the same flower
Thursday morning.

This lens is an FA 100 mm F 2.8.  The other macro I use frequently is a DA
35 mm F 2.8 Macro Limited.

Dan Matyola
*https://tinyurl.com/DJM-Pentax-Gallery