My most recent endeavor in raising Monarch butterflies was a group of
larvae from Monarch Watch.  Since the previous brood had devoured the
smaller potted Milkweed plants, I used my largest net cage for the new
fellows, who were very tiny upon arrival.

In addition to some smaller potted plants and some cut foliage from plants
growing in our yard, I placed a fairly large potted milkweed in the cage,
and left it there the entire time.  There didn't seem to be as many
chrysalises  as I had expected clinging to the top of the cage when all the
larvae had metamorphosed.   When I removed the large pot from the cage, I
discovered the reason:  a number had decided to hang their chrysalises on
the side of the pot, rather than climbing to the top of the cage.
Actually, there was one more than shown in the below image;  I accidentally
knocked one off as I was removing the pot.  I placed that one on some paper
towels, and it will probably still develop into an adult butterfly.

I was somewhat amused by the manner in which they all crowded together on
the pot, instead of spreading out as they usually do on the top of the
cage.  That reminded me of a little condo development, with all the units
close together.

http://dan-matyola.squarespace.com/danmatyolas-pesos/2021/7/9/condo

K-r, smc DA 35 mm Macro F 2.8 Limited
Comments, questions, suggestions and criticisms are invited and appreciated.

Dan Matyola
*https://tinyurl.com/DJM-Pentax-Gallery
%(real_name)s Pentax-Discuss Mail List