I use to do that as well until my Lab passed on in 2020 aged 14. At our
ages we decided against another dog. We now feed a tribe of Feral Cats!

If I can find another slowish (about 6min/km) running partner, I may
resume. The younger & quicker members of our Club get annoyed with me
because I hold them up. Long gone are the 4min/km days.

One race which I really enjoyed was the annual Skukuza Half Marathon in the
Kruger Park (with an army of Rangers to keep us safe). Quite tough with a
lot of dirt roads. It is actually a fundraising event for conservation
projects. I ran my 20th in 2014 in 01:58 when I was 71. I'm really
considering a comeback next year when I am 80 for my 21st Skukuza (even if
I have to walk half of it - they give you 3hrs. if you need it) & probably
my Swansong.

There has only been one "incident" I am aware of in the 30 odd years of the
event. A pride of Lions  wandered onto the route on an out-and-back section
around 15km. in about 2000. The rangers stopped the lead runners while they
chased to Lions away but it took about 10min so they ended up with a
pile-up of about 50 runners before they could let them go. I was still on
the way out when the group jogged past in the opposite direction joyfully
in song as Blacks do. There was no proper open category "winner" as such
that year. The older age-group categories were unaffected.

Alan C
--
%(real_name)s Pentax-Discuss Mail List