While we were in The City for the Immersive Van Gogh Exhibit, I walked
across Vesey Street to visit the Irish Hunger Memorial: (
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Hunger_Memorial)

The memorial is dedicated to raising awareness of the Great Irish Hunger,
referred to as An Gorta Mór in Irish, in which over one million starved to
death between 1845 and 1852, and another million fled the country.  This
tragic event is often referred to as the Irish Potato Famine, because the
failure of the potato crop prayed a part in the deaths, but throughout the
crisis, the English overlords of Ireland continued to export enough
grain and other foods from Ireland to England to feed all the Irish, so the
catastrophe was as much the result of British policy as the potato
blight;.  Recognizing this, Prime Minister Tony Blair Blair formally
apologized to Ireland for the British government's handling of the crisis.

The memorial sits on a commanding site, with stunning views of the Freedom
Tower, the Hudson River, the Jersey skyline, and the Statue of Liberty.

The story of the Hunger is effectively related in a recent documentary,
narrated by Liam Neeson:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upBdImBa94A
https://www.irishcentral.com/culture/entertainment/rte-great-hunger-documentary

These are my images from my visit to the Memorial last Saturday:

http://dan-matyola.squarespace.com/danmatyolas-pesos/2022/4/13/hunger

Comments, questions and criticisms are invited and appreciated.

Dan Matyola
*https://tinyurl.com/DJM-Pentax-Gallery
%(real_name)s Pentax-Discuss Mail List