I took the cage outside to release the five that were ready.  I wasn't
planning to shoot them on my hand, and indeed the first images I took were
of butterflies in the cage, on the top of the cage, and opn the wooden
decking on which the cage was resting.  When I glanced up and saw the blue
sky and puffy clouds, I decided to try for an image against the background
of the sky.

I was running out of time, so I switched the butterfly I was in the process
of releasing from my right hand to my left, so I could raise it up against
theat lovely sky.  I didn't expect to get much, as I had to hold the camera
and shoot it with one hand, and I am no longer very steady shooting that
way, and also because the butterfly would be against a much brighter
background. I hoped for the best and made a couple of snaps, one of which
came out better than I had expected, and another of which was all motion
blur (image #3).

I have a number of other images against different backgrounds and
illustrating the cage, the empty chrysalises, and the mess the butterflies
leave behind when they make their exits, but I thought the sky image was
more interesting, more unusual, and more pleasing to the eye.

All in all, it was a fairly successful evening.
Dan Matyola
*https://tinyurl.com/DJM-Pentax-Gallery

--
%(real_name)s Pentax-Discuss Mail List