Dave,

I couldn't say whether you've mucked things up without the machine in front of
me to do some analysis, but perhaps these links on Time Machine backup
management might help:

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/if-the-time-machine-backup-disk-is-full-mh15137/mac
(Note that El Capitan is too old to be included in the specific instructions
that this page lists for, but most of the instructions for all the High Sierra
to current Ventura versions of macOS are pretty much the same; one can make the
assumption that TM on El Capitan isn't much different.)

https://www.macworld.com/article/673089/what-to-do-when-time-machine-backup-is-full.html

http://www.creativetechsupport.com/help/mac/transfer/timemachine/full.html

In general, it is not a good idea to manipulate the internals of a Time Machine
backup manually (or any backup system, for that matter). When you do, you
should do it in the very specific ways recommended in the links above. If a
backup volume is getting too full, the best thing to do is to disconnect the
old volume and archive it, add a new volume, and assign that to Time Machine.

For example, I have a 1T internal drive and a 1T Time Machine volume connected
to my system. I set up Time Machine such that it excludes my photography files
(LR catalog folder and original files - those are managed on and backed up to a
completely different set of external volumes which I consider to be much more
efficient and robust than the automated TM backup system). When the 1T Time
Machine volume is approaching 95% full, before TM starts deleting the oldest
files, I disconnect it from the system and mark it with the date I removed it
from the system. I then connect another 1T volume that I've reformatted and
assign it to be the Time Machine volume, generate an entirely new backup on it.
When that one gets to the 95% full mark, I do the same … the 1T volume I swap
in is the original TM backup volume that I've reformatted and emptied.

It takes about five to six years of use for a TM backup to become full to that
point … I've only had to do this about three times … And any truly important
data that I want to keep forever (like financial data) I archive into a
completely independent archive system along with my photography files.

--
%(real_name)s Pentax-Discuss Mail List