For the most compatibility across operating systems FAT32 file system is your best bet.  It does have a couple limitations - a max file size 4 GB and a max partition size of 8TB.  These limitations are not usually a problem with a flash drive unless you're trying to save something like a movie.

FAT16 is so old it's pretty much dead in the water and NTFS, standard for Windows machines, can be both read and write to Windows, but read only for MACs.  EX FAT eliminates the file size and partition size limitations of FAT32 but is somewhat less compatible machine/system-wise.

Assuming you don't have any files larger than 4GB, if you have two flash drives, format one to FAT32 and the other to EX-FAT.  Put your files on both of them and see which works in the class machines.

-p