I am fairly new to photography (3 years) and, while I am better at the math
these days, it is still a source of confusion for me.

I am under the impression that f-stops are measured in a scale that is
either based on 1 or 1.4, as in:

1, 1.4, 2, 2.8, 4.0, 5.6, 8, 11, 16, 22, 32...

Of course I am familiar with 1.7, 2.5, 3.5, 4.5, 6, 9, 13, 14, 19...
because these are either fast Pentax lenses or the numbers show up in the
meter when I shoot shutter priority or automatic.  (Question coming up, I
promise.)

My questions concern the measurements between stops.  I believe that the
difference between 2.8 and 4.0 is a full stop which can also be measured in
shutter speed, e.g. 1/250 to 1/500.  Assuming that this is correct, I can
deduce that a change from 2.8 to 3.5 is a 1/2 stop.  Unfortunately, this
can only be true if 3.5 is the only stop that can exist between 2.8 and
4.0, and this, of course, must be false.

So, finally, the questions are:
1.      What is the real scale?
2.      Other than setting the auto bracket feature to 1/3, how does one make a
1/3 shift?

s/
http://www.eyecafe.net