>After looking down on Sigmas for years, I spent $800 on a 100-300 f:4
>EX and don't regret it one bit in terms of construction and image
>quality.  It's true.  You get what you pay for.

With Sigma, one cannot judge their built quality by how they felt, but need
to actually use them for a period of time to know if they were good. I had 4
Sigma manual focus lenses, and 1 of them were junk mechanically. 1 with
self-destructed rubber, aperture ring and gold plated contacts. The other 2
were fine, except all with poorly design aperture mechanisms (noticeable
only to those who repair lenses).

regards,
Alan Chan