This is very interesting because we have the existence
of originals in all art forms before electronic media
in which the idea of the original looses its sense.

The original is a difficult thing to define.  Like the
color red, it is something that can be defined the
best one can, and then easily deconstructed.  It is
mainly an idea, a notion like anything else, that we
can encircle but never precisely pin down.  The best
we can do rationally is begin to list the features it
often has (followed by various clever folks saying
"Oh, but here that's not the case"), but again such
concepts don't exist or originate in the world of
rational justifications but in the realm of the idea
which precedes the rational.

Chaso

--- "Otis Wright, Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > Folks:
> >
> > Snip>
>
> >  So long as the original is available,
>
> Snip
>

> And would someone like to define  "original"?   I'm
> always very careful
> about how much weight I give an "original."   A lot
> of things can happen
> between the object of interest and the film/sensor.
>  Or, am I missing
> something here?
>
> Otis Wright
>

> > Paul G.
> > Milwaukee, Wi.
> >

> >> I agree totally...well said - particularly the
> part
> >> about digitally creating a film-based image.
> Also,
> >> beyond photography, the world in general will be
> >> interesting when everything can be regenerated or
> >> simulated to appear as indistinguishable from an
> >> original and nothing can adjudicate reality.

> distinction
> need
> diminishes

=====
Chaso DeChaso

"Less is more cheap" - Osvaldo Valdes, Architect