On Friday, December 6, 2002, at 01:08  AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

PS:  I was trying to figure out how the heck one lifts from the
knees instead of the back when shovelling snow, and I'm wondering
whether snow shovels just aren't long enough for someone of my
height... The only way I could use my knees would be to do deep
knee bends with each stroke the whole time I was out there, and
there's no way my knees would take anywhere near that amount of
punishment.  Thing is, I'm not _that_ tall (IIRC, 6'0" is above
average but well within the normal range, right?), so if I'm right
about the length of the handles on snow shovels, that would seem a
little odd.

Glenn,

You are taking too big a scoop. If your knees can't take the load, what do you think it's doing to your back? Shovel smart, or pay someone else to do it.

Dan Scott