Jerome,

Wish I could help you.  I only have the 1.4X-L and a Tamron 7 element
AF 2X converter.  The L converters will also fit the FA* 200/2.8
(which I have and use regularly).  On the 200/2.8 or 400/5.6, there is
a marked difference in contrast between the two converters.  Comparing
images/prints between plain lens and both converters, I can't see any
obvious differences with the 1.4X-L.  The Tamron, however, is plain as
day.  The images just don't have the clarity/contrast that you would
expect.

One way to look at it is that you are already compromising the image
simply by using a converter.  You should try to minimize the
compromise any way you can.  You also spend a bundle on your lens, you
should want it to perform to it's best.

HTH,

Bruce