I have reached to the same conclusion.

However, rebuilding openldap doesn't seem to be easy or straightforward (but I'll give it a try when I can)... It is commonly accepted that in production servers, pre-built, platform-specific RPMs are preferred (to avoid all sorts of problems), compiled by few experts, and I am not a master in compiling :(.

Even if it had worked, I would continue to urge pdns developers to support pdns/ldap Master functionality (essentially NOTIFY) in the core code. It's an important feature. We users (eventually) find solutions one way or another (always with developers' and experienced users' help), but supporting features that help avoid implementation complexity leads to better production systems and to happier administrators :).

So, my request to add master support to ldap backend remains open!

I also tried the notify-dns-slaves tool (which might be of great value) manually, but I'm getting errors:

   notify-dns-slaves -d 4 'x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.ip6.arpa'
   dns2.example.com
   notify-dns-slaves: building notification packet for
   x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.ip6.arpa to dns2.example.com
   notify-dns-slaves: resolving address: dns2.example.com
   notify-dns-slaves: resolved address for: [unknown]
   notify-dns-slaves: preparing notification to: dns2.example.com
   notify-dns-slaves: resolved address for: 10.10.10.101
   notify-dns-slaves: preparing notification to: dns2.example.com
   notify-dns-slaves: starting processing
   notify-dns-slaves: sending notify for zone
   x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.ip6.arpa to dns2.example.com
   notify-dns-slaves: sending notify for zone
   x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.ip6.arpa to dns2.example.com
   notify-dns-slaves: couldn't send packet to server: dns2.example.com:
   Bad file descriptor
   notify-dns-slaves: received successful response for server:
   dns2.example.com
   notify-dns-slaves: sending notify for zone
   x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.ip6.arpa to dns2.example.com
   notify-dns-slaves: couldn't send packet to server: dns2.example.com:
   Bad file descriptor
   notify-dns-slaves: sending notify for zone
   x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.ip6.arpa to dns2.example.com
   notify-dns-slaves: couldn't send packet to server: dns2.example.com:
   Bad file descriptor
   notify-dns-slaves: sending notify for zone
   x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.ip6.arpa to dns2.example.com
   notify-dns-slaves: couldn't send packet to server: dns2.example.com:
   Bad file descriptor
   notify-dns-slaves: notification to server timed out: dns2.example.com
   notify-dns-slaves: processing done

What does it mean by "Bad file descriptor"? What can I do?

Thanks for your great help and support,
Nick