Hello,

I'm preparing a server upgrade from Ubuntu 14.04 to 16.04 and would like to know what has changed between the packaged versions.

I found out that I'm going to upgrade PowerDNS Server (pdns-server) from version 3.3.1 to 4.0.0 alpha 2 and Recursor (pdns-recursor) from 3.5.3 to 4.0.0 alpha 2 as well.

Can somebody tell me what the notable changes between these versions are? I only found very detailed lists of almost every touched line of source code, most of which I don't understand. I'm looking for added or removed features, incompatible changes and necessary configuration updates (especially for MySQL backends).

Also, is it true that Ubuntu has packaged an alpha version into their LTS distribution? Isn't it that alpha versions are highly unstable, not much tested, have lots of known bugs and should never be used in production systems? Or does PowerDNS have another definition of that term?

Yves