On 03/04/2018 22:39, Brian Candler wrote:
Aha, "powerdns recursor protobuf export" was the search term I needed, thanks!

https://doc.powerdns.com/recursor/lua-config/protobuf.html
One question.  Protobuf messages are in general not self-delimiting[^1], but I couldn't find any description of how PDNS delimits protobuf messages.  Are they wrapped?  Or does tag 1 mark the start of each message (which I note is the only required tag) [^2]?

Perhaps someone can share some code which is capable of receiving these messages, e.g. as referred to in
https://github.com/PowerDNS/pdns/issues/6294

Thanks,

Brian.

[^1] https://developers.google.com/protocol-buffers/docs/techniques#streaming

[^2] This would depend on the generator outputting tags in increasing tag sequence, which is a "should" requirement for generators, but parsers are not supposed to depend on it.

https://developers.google.com/protocol-buffers/docs/encoding#order