On 2018-11-06 08:39, Daniel Miller via Pdns-users wrote:
On 11/5/2018 9:15 AM, MRob wrote:

still, it didn't work with auto-serial configuration:

> pdnsutil increase-serial example.org
Error: Parsing record content (try 'pdnsutil check-zone'): missing field at
the end of record content 'ns.example.org cont...@example.org 0'

could you paste the content of the SOA record for this zone?

Same as showed above-
ns.example.org cont...@example.org 0

That looks like the problem - SOA records are supposed to have more info.  Try:

ns.example.org  cont...@example.org  2018110601 86400 7200 604800 300

Instead of a simple 0 - suggest using a datestamp and starting with
today's config.  But the other parameters aren't optional (though you
should adjust for your needs).

Adding the other SOA fields fixed the problem. Because you told me not to use 0 I could only take to understand your advice not relevant for autoserial use case.

I may suggest pdnsutil manpage to update for showing increase-serial command. I use pdns source repo but it's not in my manpage.

Also to suggest pdnsutil check-zone to give error on SOA without all fields. It gaves no error so I could think it was correct but it was not.

Still one problem though. After pdnsutil increase-serial the serial did increase but in database backend, its still troublesome. Field notified_serial changed from 0 to 1 but last_check is yet as always NULL. How will pdns retain the current SOA serial if rebooted? I think it will reset? Is this bug?