Juha Heinanen via Pdns-users <pdns-users@mailman.powerdns.com> writes:

> Some of the e164.arpa domains used in my SIP Proxy environment are
> private and thus (on purpose), are not registered under e164.arpa.

Depending on what software you're using, it may be possible to work
around this by using another DNS domain.  With Asterisk, for instance,
the enum.conf file allows you to specify one or more domains to be
searched in addition to e164.arpa -- the example given in the file is
e164.org, but you could easily use a local subdomain.

Otherwise, you might just have to write some Lua code to handle the
lookups for you.  For examples of how to do this in the recursor, see
<https://doc.powerdns.com/recursor/lua-scripting/hooks.html>.

Hmm.  Might it also work to do something really simple involving more
than one recursor?  If the primary recursor had something like this:

forward-zones-recurse=e164.arpa=10.0.0.11;1.1.1.1

...and the one at 10.0.0.11 then had:

forward-zones=e164.arpa=10.0.0.12

...with 10.0.0.12 being the local "authoritative" server for e164.arpa,
might then a number end up first being looked up on 10.0.0.12, and then,
if that failed, using 1.1.1.1?  I guess it's possible that 10.0.0.11
would need a Lua hack to transform a NXDOMAIN into some sort of failure,
to cause the primary recursor to go to 1.1.1.1 (or a third local
recursor, if you prefer, of course).

Could someone who knows more about this than I do tell me how far into
the wrong ball park I am with this stuff?  :)

-tih
--
Most people who graduate with CS degrees don't understand the significance
of Lisp.  Lisp is the most important idea in computer science.  --Alan Kay