I am trying to open a series of files from a list (ideally a hash,
but a list will do).  For some reason I'm getting the following
behavior:

@pages is an array holding the filenames, read in from another file.
Here's the suspect code: (with line numbers).

42: print "|$pages[0]|\n";
43: open(PAGE, "<", "http;^^dri.cornell.edu^pub^People^davis.html") || die("can't open
$pages[0]: $!");
44: close(PAGE);
45: open( PAGE, "<", $pages[0]) || die("can't open $pages[0]: $!");
46: close(PAGE);

The chunk of code above does this:

|http;^^dri.cornell.edu^pub^People^davis.html|
can't open http;^^dri.cornell.edu^pub^People^davis.html: No such file
or directory at ../tools/lc2.pl line 45.

The first open, with the constant string, does work fine (hence, no
errors).  I've also thrown a loop in between lines 43 and 44 to print
the file's contents.

This seems to be somehow linked to the way I am generating the list,
but I'm not sure how. (I added the |'s above to check for whitespace).

This behavior is the same if I use the two-parameter version of open.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I've looked over perlopentut
and googled for help, but I haven't seen any answers, although I may
have (must have?) overlooked something.

-Rogan Creswick