Robby Russell wrote:
<snip>

If for the actual documents you are working on.. Tools -> Options -> Text Document ->Basic Fonts -> Default

And that only allows you to change the default font face, if you want to change the font size too, then you have to look at the default template.
Press ctrl-f11 to open the Style Catalog, select "Paragraph Styles", highlight "Default" and press "Modify." Then go to the font tab and change the default font size. Now this works for OO.o Writer. I haven't actually bothered to see if it also holds for Calc and the others, but I'm sure that there is a similar option if not.

-John