Info about subscribing or unsubscribing from this list is at the bottom of this 
message.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://snipurl.com/e06q

Published on Tuesday, April 12, 2005 by the New York Times
Videos Challenge Accounts of Convention Unrest
by Jim Dwyer

Dennis Kyne put up such a fight at a political protest last summer, the
arresting officer recalled, it took four police officers to haul him down
the steps of the New York Public Library and across Fifth Avenue.

"We picked him up and we carried him while he squirmed and screamed," the
officer, Matthew Wohl, testified in December. "I had one of his legs
because he was kicking and refusing to walk on his own."

Accused of inciting a riot and resisting arrest, Mr. Kyne was the first of
the 1,806 people arrested in New York last summer during the Republican
National Convention to take his case to a jury. But one day after Officer
Wohl testified, and before the defense called a single witness, the
prosecutor abruptly dropped all charges.

During a recess, the defense had brought new information to the
prosecutor. A videotape shot by a documentary filmmaker showed Mr. Kyne
agitated but plainly walking under his own power down the library steps,
contradicting the vivid account of Officer Wohl, who was nowhere to be
seen in the pictures. Nor was the officer seen taking part in the arrests
of four other people at the library against whom he signed complaints.

A sprawling body of visual evidence, made possible by inexpensive,
lightweight cameras in the hands of private citizens, volunteer observers
and the police themselves, has shifted the debate over precisely what
happened on the streets during the week of the convention.

For Mr. Kyne and 400 others arrested that week, video recordings provided
evidence that they had not committed a crime or that the charges against
them could not be proved, according to defense lawyers and prosecutors.

Among them was Alexander Dunlop, who said he was arrested while going to
pick up sushi.

Last week, he discovered that there were two versions of the same police
tape: the one that was to be used as evidence in his trial had been edited
at two spots, removing images that showed Mr. Dunlop behaving peacefully.
When a volunteer film archivist found a more complete version of the tape
and gave it to Mr. Dunlop's lawyer, prosecutors immediately dropped the
charges and said that a technician had cut the material by mistake.

Seven months after the convention at Madison Square Garden, criminal
charges have fallen against all but a handful of people arrested that
week. Of the 1,670 cases that have run their full course, 91 percent ended
with the charges dismissed or with a verdict of not guilty after trial.
Many were dropped without any finding of wrongdoing, but also without any
serious inquiry into the circumstances of the arrests, with the Manhattan
district attorney's office agreeing that the cases should be "adjourned in
contemplation of dismissal."

So far, 162 defendants have either pleaded guilty or were convicted after
trial, and videotapes that bolstered the prosecution's case played a role
in at least some of those cases, although prosecutors could not provide
details.

Besides offering little support or actually undercutting the prosecution
of most of the people arrested, the videotapes also highlight another
substantial piece of the historical record: the Police Department's
tactics in controlling the demonstrations, parades and rallies of hundreds
of thousands of people were largely free of explicit violence.

Throughout the convention week and afterward, Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg
said that the police issued clear warnings about blocking streets or
sidewalks, and that officers moved to arrest only those who defied them.
In the view of many activists - and of many people who maintain that they
were passers-by and were swept into dragnets indiscriminately thrown over
large groups - the police strategy appeared to be designed to sweep them
off the streets on technical grounds as a show of force.

"The police develop a narrative, the defendant has a different story, and
the question becomes, how do you resolve it?" said Eileen Clancy, a member
of I-Witness Video, a project that assembled hundreds of videotapes shot
during the convention by volunteers for use by defense lawyers.

Paul J. Browne, a police spokesman, said that videotapes often do not show
the full sequence of events, and that the public should not rush to
criticize officers simply because their recollections of events are not
consistent with a single videotape. The Manhattan district attorney's
office is reviewing the testimony of Officer Wohl at the request of Lewis
B. Oliver Jr., the lawyer who represented Mr. Kyne in his arrest at the
library.

The Police Department maintains that much of the videotape that has
surfaced since the convention captured what Mr. Browne called the
department's professional handling of the protests and parades. "My guess
is that people who saw the police restraint admired it," he said.

Video is a useful source of evidence, but not an easy one to manage,
because of the difficulties in finding a fleeting image in hundreds of
hours of tape. Moreover, many of the tapes lack index and time markings,
so cuts in the tape are not immediately apparent.

That was a problem in the case of Mr. Dunlop, who learned that his tape
had been altered only after Ms. Clancy found another version of the same
tape. Mr. Dunlop had been accused of pushing his bicycle into a line of
police officers on the Lower East Side and of resisting arrest, but the
deleted parts of the tape show him calmly approaching the police line, and
later submitting to arrest without apparent incident.

A spokeswoman for the district attorney, Barbara Thompson, said the
material had been cut by a technician in the prosecutor's office. "It was
our mistake," she said. "The assistant district attorney wanted to include
that portion" because she initially believed that it supported the charges
against Mr. Dunlop. Later, however, the arresting officer, who does not
appear on the video, was no longer sure of the specifics in the complaint
against Mr. Dunlop.

In what appeared to be the most violent incident at the convention
protests, video shot by news reporters captured the beating of a man on a
motorcycle - a police officer in plainclothes - and led to the arrest of
one of those involved, Jamal Holiday. After eight months in jail, he
pleaded guilty last month to attempted assault, a low-level felony that
will be further reduced if he completes probation. His lawyer, Elsie
Chandler of the Neighborhood Defender Service of Harlem, said that videos
had led to his arrest, but also provided support for his claim that he did
not realize the man on the motorcycle was a police officer, reducing the
severity of the offense.

Mr. Browne, the police spokesman, said that despite many civilians with
cameras who were nearby when the officer was attacked, none of the
material was turned over to police trying to identify the assailants.
Footage from a freelance journalist led police to Mr. Holiday, he said.

In the bulk of the 400 cases that were dismissed based on videotapes, most
involved arrests at three places - 16th Street near Union Square, 17th
Street near Union Square and on Fulton Street - where police officers and
civilians taped the gatherings, said Martin R. Stolar, the president of
the New York City chapter of the National Lawyers Guild. Those tapes
showed that the demonstrators had followed the instructions of senior
officers to walk down those streets, only to have another official order
their arrests.

Ms. Thompson of the district attorney's office said, "We looked at videos
from a variety of sources, and in a number of cases, we have moved to
dismiss."

_____________________________

Note: This message comes from the peace-justice-news e-mail mailing list of 
articles and commentaries about peace and social justice issues, activism, etc. 
 If you do not regularly receive mailings from this list or have received this 
message as a forward from someone else and would like to be added to the list, 
send a blank e-mail with the subject "subscribe" to [EMAIL PROTECTED] 
or you can visit:
http://lists.enabled.com/mailman/listinfo/peace-justice-news  Go to that same 
web address to view the list's archives or to unsubscribe.

E-mail accounts that become full, inactive or out of order for more than a few 
days will be deleted from this list.

FAIR USE NOTICE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the 
information in this e-mail is distributed without profit to those who have 
expressed a prior interest in receiving it for research and educational 
purposes.  I am making such material available in an effort to advance 
understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, 
scientific, and social justice issues, etc. I believe this constitutes a 'fair 
use' of copyrighted material as provided for in the US Copyright Law.

Reply via email to