Info about subscribing or unsubscribing from this list is at the bottom of this
message.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://electroniciraq.net/news/3009.shtml

Sexual cleansing: Gov't denies gays are targets of killings
Report, IRIN

BAGHDAD (IRIN) - The Iraqi lesbian and gay community and NGOs dealing with
gay issues have called for urgent action to protect gays and lesbians in
the country.

The groups say that the number of victims of "sexual cleansing" is growing
on a daily basis.

"In the past three months, more than 30 gays have been executed in
Baghdad. The bodies have been found tortured, mutilated - sometimes with
signs of rape," said Mustafa Salim, spokesman for the Rainbow for Life
Organization (RLO), a Baghdad-based gay rights NGO.

"Notes were found near some of the bodies with messages saying that this
is going to be the fate for any Muslim who denies the Islamic religion,"
Salim added.

RLO was set up in 2005, and Salim claims that since then they have
recorded more than 230 cases of abuses against gays and lesbians,
including more than 64 deaths - with the last three months being the most
bloody.

"The gay community continues to be subjected to systematic terror by Shia
militias, especially the Mahdy Army controlled by the religious leader
Muqtada al-Sadr. The government of Iraq is refusing to offer protection,"
he added.

In an interview, one member of the Mahdy Army, Ali Hassany, said that the
militia will target Iraq's gays and lesbians.

"They deserve death. Those people are an embarrassment to our society.
Killing such people is a job for their families, but if they cannot do so
by their own hands, we will do it," Hassany said.

For security reasons, RLO has been keeping a very low profile. The
whereabouts of its offices are unknown and it maintains clandestine
contacts with victims and volunteers.

"Four of our volunteers have been killed since 2005 and many threats have
been received, but we will not stop trying to help those people. They
don't have anyone to help them and even the government considers them
victims of common violence rather than victims of special targeting,"
Salim added.

The Iraqi Ministry of the Interior denies that the gay community is being
singled out for violent attacks, and claims that the problem is general
and related to sectarian violence.

"All Iraqis might be victims of violence. We cannot afford protection to a
special group because the situation is delicate for all Iraqis and we
cannot confirm that they have been targeted for being gays or lesbians,"
said Lt. Col. Hussein Jaboury from the ministry.

The United Nations Assistance Mission to Iraq (UNAMI) says that it agrees
that gays and lesbians are being targeted by the militias.

"Armed Islamic groups and militias have been known to be particularly
hostile towards homosexuals, frequently and openly engaging in violent
campaigns against them," a report released in January by UNAMI said.

"There have been a number of assassinations of homosexuals in Iraq. We
were also alerted to the existence of religious courts, supervised by
religious scholars, where homosexuals allegedly would be 'tried',
'sentenced' to death and then executed," the report added.

web address to view the list's archives or to unsubscribe.

E-mail accounts that become full, inactive or out of order for more than a few
days will become disabled or deleted from this list.

FAIR USE NOTICE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the
information in this e-mail is distributed without profit to those who have
expressed a prior interest in receiving it for research and educational
purposes.  I am making such material available in an effort to advance
understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy,
scientific, and social justice issues, etc. I believe this constitutes a 'fair
use' of copyrighted material as provided for in the US Copyright Law.