Jenna,

PEBL is compiled for x86 processors; I believe that the surface tablets
are generally not x86, but I've heard that the surface pro is x86 and
will run normal desktop applications.  Note that many of the PEBL Test
battery tasks require at least some keyboard input (to launch, or to
set the subject code or hit 'continue' after instructions), and so a
standard tablet without a keyboard won't work well; however many of the
tasks could be used via a tablet with only minor changes--it would just
depend on the task.  Some of the tasks (like mspan, tower of london,
and trailmaking) were designed to run on touchscreens and have been
used extensively there.

You might also look at the class of convertible touchscreens (or really
any touchscreen laptop), which could give you the best of both worlds.
 In any of these cases, you have to make sure that it is compatible
with intel x86 processors rather than ARM or whatever else is being
used in tablets.

(I don't think it would be a big deal to compile PEBL for surface, but
because most of the tasks would need to be changed somewhat, that would
be some significant effort.  I will probably institute some interface
or input arguments that will be settable globally and that a task can
use to identify input method, but that won't happen for 2.0

Shane