Actually, you can buy a nifty keyboard to attach to the surface.  And
also Microsoft produced both x86 and ARM tablets. Initially, "Pro"
distinguished the x86 tablets from the ARM version, but the ARM tablets
were significantly limited. For example, you could only install software
from the Microsoft store (which would preclude someone from using PEBL
on such devices, even if the software were compiled for ARM).  As a
result, they were commercially unsuccessful and Microsoft phased them out.

Today, all surface models currently on offer are "x86":
https://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us .  They should all run PEBL, if
you include the keyboard.

The Intel Core processors in the Surface Pro models are generally very
noticeably more powerful than the Intel Atom processors in the Surface
models in normal computing (e.g., with a few windows open).  But if you
were running only PEBL, my guess is that you wouldn't notice a big
difference.

-Alan

On 9/19/2016 11:31 PM, Shane Mueller wrote:
> Jenna,
>
> PEBL is compiled for x86 processors; I believe that the surface tablets
> are generally not x86, but I've heard that the surface pro is x86 and
> will run normal desktop applications.  Note that many of the PEBL Test
> battery tasks require at least some keyboard input (to launch, or to
> set the subject code or hit 'continue' after instructions), and so a
> standard tablet without a keyboard won't work well; however many of the
> tasks could be used via a tablet with only minor changes--it would just
> depend on the task.  Some of the tasks (like mspan, tower of london,
> and trailmaking) were designed to run on touchscreens and have been
> used extensively there.
>
> You might also look at the class of convertible touchscreens (or really
> any touchscreen laptop), which could give you the best of both worlds.
>  In any of these cases, you have to make sure that it is compatible
> with intel x86 processors rather than ARM or whatever else is being
> used in tablets.
>
> (I don't think it would be a big deal to compile PEBL for surface, but
> because most of the tasks would need to be changed somewhat, that would
> be some significant effort.  I will probably institute some interface
> or input arguments that will be settable globally and that a task can
> use to identify input method, but that won't happen for 2.0
>
> Shane
>

> On Mon, 2016-09-19 at 18:16 +0000, Winston, Jenna L wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> My name is Jenna and I'm a doctoral student at Tulane University.  I
>> was hoping to use PEBL's test battery for an upcoming neuropsych
>> study, and I was wondering if y'all could tell me if PEBL could be
>> downloaded onto Windows tablets, and if so, which tablet model would
>> best accommodate the software requirements for PEBL.
>>
>> Any information would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!
>> Jenna

Alan D. Mead, Ph.D.
President, Talent Algorithms Inc.

science + technology = better workers

+815.588.3846 (Office)
+267.334.4143 (Mobile)

http://www.alanmead.org

I've... seen things you people wouldn't believe...
functions on fire in a copy of Orion.
I watched C-Sharp glitter in the dark near a programmable gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like Ruby... on... Rails... Time for Pi.

          --"The Register" user Alister, applying the famous
            "Blade Runner" speech to software development