it is not weird as we still send the tgz not the tar.

try this: https://gist.github.com/pierrejoye/c33338677f89159f696d

I cannot test and crafted it a la volee, but it should do it:

$file is used to query the file from the database, which contains only
filenames with tgz (as we created the .tar manually now)
$basename is what is used by X-SendFile, this patch fixes it and
create <release>.tar instead of <release>.tgz