On Fri, 2020-12-11 at 19:02 +0100, Christoph M. Becker wrote:

> > 3. Are the headers that get generated have any guarantees on
> > usability
> > in PHP 7.x?
>
> They are not usable on PHP 7 due to some missing macros.  It is
> possible
> to use define the macros for older PHP versions, but you may be
> better
> off (at least for BC reasons) to add @generate-legacy-arginfo to the
> stub file; this should generate a _legacy_arginfo.h file for
> inclusion
> when building for PHP 7.

Interestingly, it *does* seem to keep the legacy arginfo header. Going
back to question #2/#4 (since the build system hasn't changed, just
what gets made by phpize et al), running make with "-d", it appears GNU
make deletes it because it's an "intermediate file". Ugh, I wonder if
this is a bug in the PHP makefile infra. It'd explain why the other
arginfo header stays. That is:

[...]
Successfully remade target file 'all'.
Removing intermediate files...
rm /home/calvin/src/pecl-database-ibm_db2/ibm_db2_arginfo.h

> > 5. Actually downloading PHP-Parser during build is really
> > unexpected. I
> > assume if I have it on my include path it won't do that, but for
> > isolated builds it could be really confusing. I assume if I ship
> > arginfo header in a release tarball, it won't do that?
>
> Indeed.  If _arginfo.h is available and up to date (there is a SHA1
> hash
> in the file), rebuilding should not happen.

OK. The PHP-Parser is still unexpected, but I'm OK with it if it
doesn't affect packagers and the expectation is they'd patch both files
in the package if they do need to change that.