Have you checked your file associations? If the ".pcb" or ".sch"
extensions have been associated to another application, Protel will
often balk when it comes time to open the file.

Admittedly, I have not followed this thread strenuously, but the "Format
'%x' invalid..." message sound awfully familiar to my many year old
memory of a similar problem with Protel.

Regards,

aj

This e-mail transmission and its attachments may contain information from
Avtron Manufacturing, Inc. that is proprietary, privileged and/or confidential
and is intended exclusively for the person(s) to whom it is addressed. Any use,
copying, retention or disclosure by any person other than the intended
recipient or the intended recipient's designees is strictly prohibited. If you
have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by
return e-mail and delete all copies.