From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Bagotronix Tech Support
Sent: 10 August 2007 17:33
To: Protel EDA Discussion List
Subject: Re: [PEDA] lost solid copper in 99se

I guess I am one of those "remnant people" too.  My reasons for sticking
with 99SE are:

1) Lack of a multi-platform release.  I have for years been trying to
lessen my company's dependence on Microsoft products.  I would like any new
software that we buy to be capable of running on Windows or Linux.  You
could argue that using VMWare obviates the need for a Linux version of
Windows software.  But it doesn't.  VMWare is way cool, but you still need
a license for the guest OS (which in this case would be Windows).  There
are lots of things to like about Windows, but Activation, ever increasing
prices, and Vista are not among them.

2) 99SE does what we need it to do.  It's by no means perfect, but it's
adequate.

3) The prices on new releases keep going up, up, up...

Best regards,
Ivan Baggett
Bagotronix Inc.
website:  www.bagotronix.com

Pearce, Daniel wrote:
> I'd have to second that re. this being the "99SE Forum"
>
> Our main reason for sticking to 99SE are:
>
> 1. Resistance to the learning curve for AD's very different paradigm.
>    Especially important because I only do a few board designs/year,
>    but they're very "manual", i.e. high-power switching supplies
>    & amplifiers not well suited to autorouters & simple design rules.
>
> 2. P99SE is still the #1 or #2 preferred tool at *all* of the
>    Contract Mfr's that we currently use in the Far East.
>
> 3. Some of those Mfr's also do their own PCB design which are
>    perfectly adequate for DSP boards, etc.  It helps us a lot
>    if we can use the same tool to open their designs for
>    review & testing.
>
> So, I hope this list can stay alive for a while longer...
>
> Dan

Browse or Search Old Archives (2001-2004):

Browse or Search Current Archives (2004-Current):
http://www.mail-archive.com/peda@techservinc.com