Helmut

Von: "Sungchul Ji" <s...@rci.rutgers.edu>

Helmut,

Thank you for your thought-provoking analysis.

(1) To me, your sentence

"Money is a value-exchange-medium." (061814-1)

is an example of Peirce's "dicent symbolic legisign" (see S_233 in the
table attached).

(2) All signs can be classified into one of the ten classes listed in
the attached table, each denoted as S_ijk, where S = sign, and the indexes
specify the FORMAL aspects of S; i = the placeholder for intepretant, j =
the placeholder for object, and k = the placeholder for representamen.
Each one of these three placeholders can assume (or occupied by) one of
the three numerical values, 1, 2 and 3, obeying what I called the
“Peircean rule of composite signs (PRCS)” stating that i &#8804; j
&#8804; k , where “A &#8804; B” reads “A is less than or equal to B” or
“A cannot be greater than B”.

(3) Just as three fundamental particles called “quarks” constitute a
composite particle called a “baryon” (or heavy particle such as protons
and neutrons) in particle physics, so I suggested in the so-called the
“quark model of the Peircean sign” (see Item (3) in the email attached)
that three components called “elementary signs” constitute a “composite
sign”. (Please note that these “elementary signs” refer to “sign
relations”, e.g., “icon” = the relation between a representamen and its
object being similarity; “index” = the relation between the representamen
and its object being causal, etc.) This suggestion is consistent with the
Peircean sign being represented by S_ijk, with the indexes obeying the
Peircean rule of composite sign described in (2).

(4) It seems to me that Proposition (061814-1) has two complementary
aspects -- the FORMAL aspect as indicated by its semiotic structure being
“dicent symbolic legisign”, i.e., S_233, and the MATERIAL aspect
identifiable with some specific effect (obeying the laws of physics) felt
by, or exerted on, the mind of some interpreter or non-human agents. It
may be that the formal aspect of a sign reflects its general/global
property and the material aspect its specific/local properties.

(5) These considerations lead the following conclusion:

“The formal/material complementarity of the sign may be (061814-2)
essential for the sign’s role in enabling communication
among intelligent beings: Without the formal aspect, no
sign may be recognized/intelligible; without the material
aspect, no information may be transmitted/communicated.”

With all the best.

Sung
Sungchul Ji, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Pharmacology and Toxicology
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology
Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy
Rutgers University
Piscataway, N.J. 08855
732-445-4701

www.conformon.net

PEIRCE-L subscribers: Click on "Reply List" or "Reply All" to REPLY ON PEIRCE-L to this message. PEIRCE-L posts should go to peirce-L@list.iupui.edu . To UNSUBSCRIBE, send a message not to PEIRCE-L but to l...@list.iupui.edu with the line "UNSubscribe PEIRCE-L" in the BODY of the message. More at http://www.cspeirce.com/peirce-l/peirce-l.htm .