On Jul 2, 2014, at 2:57 PM, Benjamin Udell <bud...@nyc.rr.com> wrote:

> Sung, list, I think you're getting into a thicket. Mathematicians have varied
> on these questions.

It’s interesting how there was a burst of activity on mathematical foundations
in the early 20th century and then a lot of that dried up. It’s still a major
topic in most introductions to philosophy of mathematics but until recently it
seems more of a dead topic. The only interesting advance I could think of was
Putnam’s perhaps Peirce inspired semi-empirical methods in mathematics paper. I
rather enjoyed that paper but some noted that it was a bit after the fact given
the reality of how computers were already being used in mathematical proof. As
I recall Putnam’s paper came out somewhat after the Four Color Proof that
brought a lot of attention to the role of computers in proofs. I think since
then it’s just been accepted within mathematics that some unproven theorems
appear to be true independent of proof and are treated as true. I’ve not kept
up on the literature enough to know how that’s affected thinking about
mathematical foundations.

I have heard of late though that there’s starting to be more interest in
mathematical foundations. Alas I’ve just not had time to follow the literature.

I confess that I occasionally still enjoy reading some of those classic papers
debating foundations and all the unease with different sorts of infinities in
proofs. I’ve long thought that Peirce probably offers an unique approach that,
other that Putnam touching somewhat on it, never really gets engaged with.