I am sure it may be wrong to post this. My reason is that the closing quote
below is so common and often lacks the context of the surrounding words. So
I will risk repetition anyway. The more I read, the more I think that C. P.
really did mean to confine things as suggested in the final sentence below
and that the rest is ...

"Aristotle builded upon a few deliberately chosen concepts -- such as
matter and form, act and power -- very broad, and in their outlines vague
and rough, but solid, unshakable, and not easily undermined; and thence it
has come to pass that Aristotelianism is babbled in every nursery, that
"English Common Sense," for example, is thoroughly peripatetic, and that
ordinary men live so completely within the house of the Stagyrite that
whatever they see out of the windows appears to them incomprehensible and
metaphysical. Long it has been only too manifest that, fondly habituated
though we be to it, the old structure will not do for modern needs; and
accordingly, under Descartes, Hobbes, Kant, and others, repairs,
alterations, and partial demolitions have been carried on for the last
three centuries. One system, also, stands upon its own ground; I mean the
new Schelling-Hegel mansion, lately run up in the German taste, but with
such oversights in its construction that, although brand new, it is already
pronounced uninhabitable. The undertaking which this volume inaugurates is
to make a philosophy like that of Aristotle, that is to say, to outline a
theory so comprehensive that, for a long time to come, the entire work of
human reason, in philosophy of every school and kind, in mathematics, in
psychology, in physical science, in history, in sociology, and in whatever
other department there may be, shall appear as the filling up of its
details. The first step toward this is to find simple concepts applicable
to every subject." †2

Peirce: CP 1.2 Cross-Ref:††

*@stephencrose <https://twitter.com/stephencrose>*