Dear Koichiro, list -
I am not sure I follow your argument. When I speak about natural Dicisigns, I 
take them to presuppose organisms. So I do not think Schrödinger 
indistinguishability precludes them.
Best
F

Den 05/09/2014 kl. 04.10 skrev Koichiro Matsuno 
<[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>>:

At 7:32 AM 09/05/2014, John D. wrote:

The question of physiosemiosis is a question of to what extent is the action of 
signs simply co-terminous with the realm of living things.

   Implications of this question are quite empirical. Suppose there is a 4 
carbon-atom molecule such as an oxaloacetate molecule, comprising four carbon, 
four hydrogen and five oxygen atoms, as a component of the citric acid cycle. 
The question is whether the molecule can distinguish between the four carbon 
atoms internally. If one goes along with Schroedinger (1944) saying “Any atom 
of nitrogen, oxygen, sulphur, etc., is as good as any other of its kind; what 
could be gained by exchanging them?”, there would be no room for Frederik’s 
”natural dicisigns”. On the other hand, if the molecule is cognizant of the 
historical whereabouts of each member atom by whatever means, that could 
implicate semiosis. This issue must be settled empirically or experimentally 
more than anything else.

   Koichiro



-----------------------------
PEIRCE-L subscribers: Click on "Reply List" or "Reply All" to REPLY ON PEIRCE-L 
to this message. PEIRCE-L posts should go to [email protected] . To 
UNSUBSCRIBE, send a message not to PEIRCE-L but to [email protected] with the 
line "UNSubscribe PEIRCE-L" in the BODY of the message. More at 
http://www.cspeirce.com/peirce-l/peirce-l.htm .




Reply via email to