> On Sep 23, 2014, at 5:52 PM, Benjamin Udell <[email protected] 
> <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
> 
> Of course, sometimes we worry that there'll be major surprises. Of course 
> that happens sometimes. A convergence to truth will not always be smooth. 
> Peirce thinks that we should keep our perspective about what seem big bumps.  
> I ran into this quote from Peirce in Haack's "We Pragmatists":

I should add that this is why I like Peirce’s realism much more than most forms 
of scientific realism which assume a sort of convergence function I find rather 
dubious.


> [Quote]
> An opinion which has of late years attained some vogue among men of science, 
> [is] that we cannot expect any physical hypothesis to maintain its ground 
> indefinitely even with modifications, but must expect that from time to time 
> there will be a complete cataclysm that shall utterly sweep away old theories 
> and replace them by new ones. As far as I know, this notion has no other 
> basis than the history of science. Considering how very, very little science 
> we have attained, and how infantile the history of science still is, it 
> amazes me that anybody should propose to base a theory of knowledge upon the 
> history of science alone. An emmet is far more competent to discourse upon 
> the figure of the earth than we are to say what future millennia and 
> millionennia may have in store for physical theories ... The only really 
> scientific theory that can be called old is the Ptolemaic system; and that 
> has only been improved in details, not revolutionized 
> [End quote CP 2.150]. 
> 
> Improved only in details! Yes, I have a sense of the argument for that claim. 
> I find the first part of his argument, that science is young, more 
> persuasive. Still, there are plenty of still-cited scientific principles, and 
> still-used approximations, that are a hundred or two hundred or more years 
> old.
> 
Although to be fair while theories have been maintained the way we understand 
those theories has transformed significantly. While Kuhn’s notion of “paradigm” 
has major problems (he admits in his retrospective it was an equivocative term) 
I think he’s right that it’s these foundational theories that do get 
overthrown. I’m not sure Peirce is being fair about what’s been swept away. I 
think the shift from alchemy to chemistry was huge. I’d say the change towards 
field theories with Maxwell was as well - although people still tried to 
interpret it the old fashion. But it is interesting that within a few years of 
Peirce’s death everything changes with numerous paradigm shifts - and 
ironically a state with two incompatible paradigms from which to understand 
theories.

The question ends up being how to view foundational theories and what their 
relationship is to loser theories. That’s a tricky question and gets at the 
reductionism question. While I’m very sympathetic to the reductionist 
inclination, it also seems clear that theories often need significant changes 
to be reduced. Which is why biology ultimately was seen as non-reductionalist 
to physics even by many people who ontologically saw them as reductionist. How 
Peirce would take that I couldn’t hazard a guess.

My own view is that Peirce’s approach (unlike scientific realism) provides a 
solution of multiple compatible theories which are all held simultaneously but 
which we can’t decide among. The classic example I gave is the literal 
interpretation of classical physics via the Newtonian form, the Lagrangian form 
and the Hamiltonian form. All three are mathematically equivalent but (unless 
one is an instrumentalist) appear to have very different meanings. It’s not 
hard to transform those three for quantum mechanics and such fruits have been 
successful. (One could argue that Feynman’s QED is simply moving from the 
Hamiltonian form of QM to a Newtonian form and then not taking it seriously 
ontologically)

I think for Peirce we can have these multiple bumps with no convergence in our 
inquiry without difficulty even if Peirce himself probably wouldn’t have 
conceived of it that way.
-----------------------------
PEIRCE-L subscribers: Click on "Reply List" or "Reply All" to REPLY ON PEIRCE-L 
to this message. PEIRCE-L posts should go to [email protected] . To 
UNSUBSCRIBE, send a message not to PEIRCE-L but to [email protected] with the 
line "UNSubscribe PEIRCE-L" in the BODY of the message. More at 
http://www.cspeirce.com/peirce-l/peirce-l.htm .




Reply via email to