"[O]ne cannot completely rule out the possibility that
whatever is responsible for the asymmetry of weak
interactions may also play a role in the formation of
primitive organic compounds."

I think it was D. Kondepudi who proved in his late 1970's (?) Nature
article the possibility of  chiral molecules forming naturally under the
influence of the asymmetry of the weak interactions.

Sung

> Ben, Edwina, Helmut, lists,
>
> I can see from your responses that these issues of chirality and genuine
> (vs degenerate) triadic relations might be approached from a number of
> angles. I hope I haven't opened a can of worms by broaching them taken
> together, although it would appear that Peirce was attempting just that in
> the passage earlier quoted.
>
> For now, I would say that I can't but help agree with Peirce that
> *genuine*
> triadic relations only occur in the biologic and intellectual realms,
> while
> I leave the possibility of degenerate semiosis occurring before life as an
> open question. Gardner discusses chirality and the advent of life in
> several chapters, most especially in chptr. 15, "The origin of life."
>
> What I remember most from Gardner's book is his emphasis on two of the
> greatest scientific advances of the century as involving chirality:
> namely,
> physics' overthrow of parity (chptr 22, "The fall of parity") and
> biology's
> discovery of the corkscrew nature of the molecule carrying the genetic
> code
> chptr. 14, "Living molecules").
>
> Gardner's pretty good on the philosophical history of thinking about
> chirality and has some illuminating passages reflecting on Kants,
> Pasteur's, Japp's, de Nouy's, and others' understandings of it, as well as
> the thinking of more contemporary philosophers and, especially, scientists
> from Pauli through to those working in superstring theory (btw, 4 of the 5
> current versions of superstring theory involve chirality).
>
> As for the matter-antimatter matter, it's discussed in Gardner's book here
> and there in several chapters and especially in chptrs. 21,
> "Antiparticles"
> and 26, "Where's the antimatter?," but I too, while I read quite a bit in
> about it a decade or so ago, am hardly an expert.
>
> For now, I'll conclude with a brief quote from Gardner's book which may
> *very
> tentatively* connect some of the questions your posts brought up, at least
> for me In a discussion of "weak interactions" Gardner writes:
>
> [O]ne cannot completely rule out the possibility that whatever is
> responsible for the asymmetry of weak interactions may also play a role in
> the formation of primitive organic compounds.
>

> That thought will have me up half the night! Maybe that's enough for one
> post.
>
> Best,
>
> Gary
>

> *Gary Richmond*
> *Philosophy and Critical Thinking*
> *Communication Studies*
> *LaGuardia College of the City University of New York*
> *C 745*
> *718 482-5690*
>
> On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 4:05 PM, Benjamin Udell <bud...@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
>
>>  Gary R., Gary F., lists,

> [...]

Sungchul Ji, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Pharmacology and Toxicology
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology
Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy
Rutgers University
Piscataway, N.J. 08855
732-445-4701