I see this question raised
and I have raised it too
How many things of which we speak
are universal and binding
within reality
Reality understood as what we know
and do not know but which we infer to be knowable
The more I have thought of this
the more I have come to sense that
tables and chairs and other things
evoke common understandings
But understandings are not generals
in the sense I mean
Generals or universals
suggest that there
is some meaning or purpose to things
If so a general
has more heft that a table or chair
A general has applicability
A general has reach
A general is powerful
What I am getting at is the thought
that generals are in fact values
If we wish to speak of universals
we speak most universally
when we speak of values
Values denote choices that
describe all human actions

Almost inevitably
as I puzzled my way
through the thinking
that results in Triadic Philosophy
I had to tell myself that what was missing was
a hierarchy of values
A hierarchy or spectrum
of good and evil
that could be proposed and defended as
a pragmatic look at what
constitutes universal reality
as far as we know it
I was beyond the virtues
proposed by Aristotle
which sound fine but which
on examination  are dependent
on values for their merit
So I propounded quite spontaneously
the scale of values I include
in the graphic below
Value is the merit or demerit
we ascribe to anything
Values are what we live by
If we wish to speak of things that
are universal
we should speak of values.
The number of generals is the
number of values that describe the
spectrum of actions
that we engage in
all of us
all the time
everywhere



-----------------------------
PEIRCE-L subscribers: Click on "Reply List" or "Reply All" to REPLY ON PEIRCE-L 
to this message. PEIRCE-L posts should go to [email protected] . To 
UNSUBSCRIBE, send a message not to PEIRCE-L but to [email protected] with the 
line "UNSubscribe PEIRCE-L" in the BODY of the message. More at 
http://www.cspeirce.com/peirce-l/peirce-l.htm .




Reply via email to